Photos and Updates
September 22, 2011:
Grass Grows, Rhino-Tapir Building Nears Completion
As the summer heat fades, Toyota Elephant Passage construction heats up to a feverish pace.
Actual grass has been seeded and has begun to sprout. Buildings are reaching the completion stages and it will not be long before animals can check out their new surroundings for the impending opening in late spring 2012.
Crews are testing all of the gates and door systems on the rhino-tapir building (above), which will house our two Malayan tapirs, Benny and Rinny, and a new species, a greater one-horned rhino.
At the Clayton F. Freiheit Elephant Building (bottom left), the new home for Mimi and Dolly and a few bull (male) elephants, the heated flooring systems have been installed in the exterior and interior. The elephant building can house from eight to 12 elephants and will be one of the world's best elephant breeding facilities. New substrate and resinous flooring also have been completed inside the elephant building.
Final touches have been added to Peter and Ella's Crossing, the animal transfer bridge (below right) that will allow elephants, tapirs and rhinos to move from one habitat to another. The bridge will look like it has been in place more than 100 years when theming work is done.
Crews have begun installing exterior siding on the Asian Café (above left), which weeks ago only had the framing complete. The café and bathrooms are scheduled to be open during Zoo Lights in December. Three animal shade structures also have been completed around pool D, which surround the McGrath Family Amphitheater where the Toyota Elephant Passage animal shows will occur.
- View more Toyota Elephant Passage Videos
- September 22, 2011: Grass Grows, Rhino-Tapir Building Nears Completion
- August 18, 2011: Part 2: How Toyota Elephant Passage is Making Denver Zoo a Green Leader
- August 11, 2011: Part 1: How Toyota Elephant Passage is Making the Zoo Greener
- July 21, 2011: Plenty of Progress Behind Construction Fences
- May 19, 2011: Denver Zoo Planners Double-Checking Punch List
- April 7, 2011: More Projects on Toyota Elephant Passage Site Close to Completion
- February 23, 2011: Toyota Elephant Passage Nears Half Way Mark
- January 6: Schoelzel Family Village Begins to Emerge
- November 19, 2010: Bridge to Provide Overhead Passage for Pachyderms
- October 28, 2010: Toyota Elephant Passage construction update
- September 23, 2010: Toyota Elephant Passage Progress in Pictures
- September 2, 2010: Virtual Project Becoming a Virtual Reality
- August 19, 2010: Lots and lots of work under way
- August 5, 2010: The Walls Are Coming Up
- July 15, 2010: Gibbon Islands and Deepest Foundation
- July 6, 2010: The walls are coming up on Toyota Elephant Passage!
- June 23, 2010 - More rock work, excavation and installation of utilities
- May 28, 2010 - Weekly Toyota Elephant Passage Construction Update - Rocks/Trees
- May 20, 2010 - Weekly Toyota Elephant Passage Construction Update - Greenhouse
- April 30, 2010 - Weekly Toyota Elephant Passage Construction Update
- April 2010 - Springtime Update
- December 2009 - North Side Warehouse
- December 2, 2009 - Groundbreaking
- March 2009 - Artifacts
- November 2008 - SITE WORK UNDERWAY!