Photos and Updates
October 20, 2011
Building Completed, Near Completion on Toyota Elephant Passage
Construction on Toyota Elephant Passage races closer to the finish line.
Last month, Denver Zoo hosted a party (below) at the Clayton F. Freiheit Elephant Building to celebrate 11 Honorary Life Trustees with about 100 guests.
The gibbon building (below) already has been punch-listed and will remain closed until animals arrive at the zoo. Zoo staff review and then approve punch lists - construction items that need to be repaired, altered and eventually OK'd.
Crews have installed interior ceiling panels and are mounting view rails near the flying fox exhibit in Asian Pavilion.
The transfer mechanisms from the clouded leopard building to its exhibit also are being installed and landscaping is nearly complete.
Landscaping for the entire 10-acre exhibit also is near complete, including grass, plants, brush, trees and other flora.
The bulk of the work left to be completed is on the east side of Toyota Elephant Passage, where the McGrath Family Amphitheater, the Schlessman Family Foundation Plaza and Kamala Café are located. The amphitheater will surround pool "D" on three sides and seat up to 450 visitors for wildlife shows feature Toyota Elephant Passage and other zoo animals.
- View more Toyota Elephant Passage Videos
- October 20, 2011: Building Completed, Near Completion on Toyota Elephant Passage
- September 22, 2011: Grass Grows, Rhino-Tapir Building Nears Completion
- August 18, 2011: Part 2: How Toyota Elephant Passage is Making Denver Zoo a Green Leader
- August 11, 2011: Part 1: How Toyota Elephant Passage is Making the Zoo Greener
- July 21, 2011: Plenty of Progress Behind Construction Fences
- May 19, 2011: Denver Zoo Planners Double-Checking Punch List
- April 7, 2011: More Projects on Toyota Elephant Passage Site Close to Completion
- February 23, 2011: Toyota Elephant Passage Nears Half Way Mark
- January 6: Schoelzel Family Village Begins to Emerge
- November 19, 2010: Bridge to Provide Overhead Passage for Pachyderms
- October 28, 2010: Toyota Elephant Passage construction update
- September 23, 2010: Toyota Elephant Passage Progress in Pictures
- September 2, 2010: Virtual Project Becoming a Virtual Reality
- August 19, 2010: Lots and lots of work under way
- August 5, 2010: The Walls Are Coming Up
- July 15, 2010: Gibbon Islands and Deepest Foundation
- July 6, 2010: The walls are coming up on Toyota Elephant Passage!
- June 23, 2010 - More rock work, excavation and installation of utilities
- May 28, 2010 - Weekly Toyota Elephant Passage Construction Update - Rocks/Trees
- May 20, 2010 - Weekly Toyota Elephant Passage Construction Update - Greenhouse
- April 30, 2010 - Weekly Toyota Elephant Passage Construction Update
- April 2010 - Springtime Update
- December 2009 - North Side Warehouse
- December 2, 2009 - Groundbreaking
- March 2009 - Artifacts
- November 2008 - SITE WORK UNDERWAY!